Monday, November 26, 2007

Cultural differences or just plain gross? You be the judge.

I was at work today and very thankful to be there after being home with the kids for four straight days. I was up early and we barely made it out of the house. But we did, with a little yelling. And a moderate amount of whining. I gave 100 hugs and kisses and I was off to the office, with a great big smile. Work was busy as predicted and I welcomed it. I love the routine and I love the people I work with. One of the reasons I love the organization that I work for is the sheer diversity. It is in stark contrast to my former place of employment. While my new place of employment has a diverse population , my former place of employment was predominantly white males with negative diversity factor. I don't know that the vibe is so different because of the diversity, but I sure do dig it. And with diversity comes cultural differences.

I have never been accused of being a "germ phobe". And I often wondered why one of my co-workers always uses the paper towel to grasp the door handle on the way out of the bathroom. So one day I inquired, "What is the deal with the paper towel"? "You wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen here". Humph, oh well. Ignorance is bliss.

Today I heard of one of those unspeakables. A different co-worker came over to my desk at the end of the day beside herself and I mean BESIDE herself. "I am so grossed out. So grossed out, I may puke". Looking like a dear in the headlights I urge her to share the grossness. "Why, what happened"? "I was just in the bathroom there was a woman in there who was blowing her nose into her fingers and then shaking it off in the sink". [ :-o What do you say to that?!] She continued, "Is that the MOST disgusting thing you have ever heard? I mean who does that"? "Farmer's when they are on the tractor and have no access to a tissue?", I quipped. We stared at each other for a moment. A woman walked past my desk and I inquired, "Was that her?", I whispered "Yessssssssssssssssss, that is her".

Grab your paper towel.

No comments: