Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Easter Baskets

I was out and about the other day, picking up cat litter, etc. When it dawned on me that Easter was just a week away and I have nothing for the kids. Now, you must know, Dear Reader, that despite my poor eating habits, my children eat very well. Sure they eat crap like everyone else. But they do eat a plethora of fruits and vegetable, whole grains, etc. As a result we try to limit the amount of "crap" they eat. And I don't like to load the Easter baskets with candy. What could I get???? Hmmm...

As I was wandering around the store looking for stuff for the Easter baskets, I was struck by a couple of things. 1. How cute the baskets are for girls. 2. That I have two boys. And finally, that despite the Easter baskets cute quotient they are single use items.

And then I rounded the corner and found beach buckets. SCORE! They each need a new beach bucket and it will hold everything that the Easter Bunny would bring anyway! I purchased three, two blue and one purple.

Then I began searching for things to put in the baskets, again keeping in mind that I don't want to load them up on crap nor do I want to buy stuff that they won't like or use.

I kept strolling through the store feeling quite proud of my beach bucket/Easter basket purchase. Then I found mini bubbles for each, you can NEVER have enough bubbles.
Then I found seeds. Ah ha! The kids are in charge of the vegetable garden so I got each of them a packet of seeds, carrots, peas and cucumbers. Second SCORE!
I remembered that their tooth brushes are quite scraggly, so I found some new toothbrushes! Third SCORE!
I got them each a little toy that would fit into the Easter bucket. I bought Oldest a little doll, Middle got some Mini Cars and Baby got a little mini Tonka bull dozer. Score, score and SCORE!
Then I got them each a little packs of gummy bears. Throw in some Easter grass and the baskets will be over flowing!!
For the egg hunt we will put jelly beans or Hershey kisses in each egg. I bought 2 packs of twelve, eight for each.

I am feeling quite pleased with myself over their Easter buckets!

6 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

That's the way to fly. I have always noticed that at Easter the innocent, simple, and very fun spring stuff is always a hit. And there's always enough candy everwhere so it needn't all be in the basket.

Great post. Happy Easter!

Kristi said...

That is similar to the route I take for Easter as well. I do give them each a big present though that usually pertains to spring weather. Otherwise, I don;t have an opportunity to give them things like a baseball tee.

Deb said...

I did the same thing with buying beach buckets for their 'baskets' this year! And trying to find useful things to put in it - they get way too much junk from school and such as it is... :)

Karen said...

Those will be the best baskets around! I like the practical route myself and you've filled the bucket with things the kids will love AND use.

I've also written down some great ideas for my own kids. Thanks!

Momisodes said...

What a great idea! They're going to love these :) I'm taking notes for my daughter!

Anonymous said...

a woman after my own heart.
We have chocolate but not too much.