Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Still no title!!! Who do you need to know?!!

My post today is about friends. The kind of friends who are with you through good and bad and who never judge. The kind of friends that you can talk to after not talking to them in a long time and there is no awkward silence. My dad taught me long ago that you show up and I am so very grateful for that lesson.

I had not planned on attending the funeral of my best friend's grandfather. Upon leaving the wake last night I realized that regardless of the distance NOT being there was out of the question. So I called my mother-in-law to inquire if she could watch the kids, all of my work people, emailed all of my clients with whom I had appointments and am on my way to the funeral.

She has been my friend since we wore boxes on our head while working together at a grocery store 20 years ago. It is a long time. She is my rock, even in her most vulnerable moments, her voice is steady and her reason sound. Her humor beyond description and her love for her family deep. So I will go and be with her today because she is my friend.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I never had close friends until college. Now, those are the women that I still feel closer to and I know we will be together through all of the triumphs and sorrows in the future.

Your friend is lucky to have you there for her.

Allie said...

You are a good friend and I'm sure she appreciates you for that.

That Chick Over There said...

You are a good friend. I wish I had such good friends in real life.