Friday, June 6, 2008

Total Rookie

Last night we went to purchase streamers for the bike parade tomorrow. While we were there Oldest spotted "cold packs", Princess cold packs, Cars cold packs, Nemo cold packs. It reminded me of my first few days of motherhood.

Oldest was born in March, she was the first and I read all the books, took the classes and welcomed advice of any kind. I knew the minute she was born that I was made for mothering. Before I had my system figured out, I did "the every three hour wake up the baby so you can feed it," thing. My first full day at home the visiting nurse came to check me and the baby. She asked how we were doing at nursing, etc. Asked if we had any trouble with anything. I really didn't have much to ask, but I told her that Oldest was having trouble waking up so I had put a cold pack on her back.

crickets.

She began to blink. "Ah, well you really don't want to do that as you could lower her core temperature and that isn't good for the baby. Why don't you try this...". And she went on to recommend some other method of gently waking Oldest.

The sheer ridiculousness of this made me laugh out loud when we passed the cold packs and reminded me that we all have to start somewhere!

5 comments:

scargosun said...

Where did you see them? I would like to purchase those for my hangover headaches. ;)

Misty said...

I know. All of a sudden there is this mad rush of character cold packs. We personally have hello Kitty, and strawberry shortcake... At least, in a nightmare economy, the kid's cold pack industry is booming.

Karen said...

Haha! I love your honesty. I was the champion of stupid mothers with my firstborn so it's nice to know that there are others out there that don't know everything.

Lindsay said...

For the first two weeks of life I would have to strip poor Livers down naked (except diaper, of course; no one wants exploding poop on their jammies) WHILE poking her in her ribs to keep her awake to eat. I miss the little fuzzy hair they have on their backs when their that little...

sniff, sniff :(

KathyLikesPink said...

Hmmm....global warming=more ice pakcs?