Wednesday, July 16, 2008

2:07 a.m.

I pulled into the driveway with a sleeping cherub. He was so very brave as he was poked and prodded. He slept through the doctor's exam, cried through the blood draw and fought hard during his x-ray.

He told me that leaving without a diagnosis was a probability, but the tests will tell us something. All the tests came back normal, thank God. He was a little wobbly this morning and perhaps very tired, but overall he seems fine.

I am in Florida for my client meetings and hate being this far away when we are supposed to be watching. KD spoke to our pediatrician this morning, she reiterated much of what the ER pedi had said last night. Most likely his pain and hunched over walking last night was due to growing pains.

Why, if it were growing pains, would only his right leg hurt? Why was his pain so sudden and discreet last night? These are the questions I may never have answers to, but I will look and if I have to learn how the pituitary gland regulates growth hormones then I will. I don't want him to be in pain. Surely it isn't fatal, but it causes him discomfort and as his mother that is intolerable.

6 comments:

KathyLikesPink said...

I understand leg pain - having experienced it - but hunched over walking? That doesn't sound right. You are right to research it and see what you can find.

scargosun said...

Aww! So sad. I would have worried too. I hope that you get to the bottom of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Betsy...
Here's one for ay. My middle child had Pneumonia last year. Well a about a month later she began having terrible,terrible chest pains. I take her to the doctors office and guess what? She is getting her "boobies!!"
Also..my son used to get horrible leg pain and tend to eiither favor one side or hunch ....I was told the same thing ( growing pains).
Now he is over 6ft tall at age 14.
BTW.....I LOOOOVE your blog!

Sarah said...

My son used to have growing pains frequently. He would wake in the middle of the night screaming in pain and say his knees hurt, or his shins. We'd slip him a little tylenol tell him it would make him all better...and within 5 minutes he'd be sound asleep again.

It was always scary, and always very painful...but he's grown out of them now :)

Misty said...

the not having answers really stinks... I'm sorry you don't have any, but SO glad it's nothing serious!

Anonymous said...

Hugs.
You must be so worried.
I hope you get to the bottom of the pain and that it is anything but sinister.