Monday, July 14, 2008

5:30 a.m.

Was the time that my alarm went off this morning.

6:30 a.m. was the time I pulled out of my driveway
6:40 a.m. was the time I pulled into the parking lot of my office, to retrieve my laptop, put on my out of office assistant, send an email to my department about my whereabouts for the morning.
6:49 a.m. was the time I pulled into Dukin Donuts
6:58 a.m. was the time I hit the highway to make it to my 8 a.m. meeting. Yes, it was early and yes, I would arrive ridiculously early. But I prefer it that way.
7:45 a.m. I drove around killing time.
7:50 a.m. I pulled up in front of the building
7:52 a.m. I signed in and waited.
7:59 a.m. I was greeted by my client
8:01 a.m. the meeting began, with me, alone in the meeting room while he went in search of chairs to accommodate the other attendees.
9:05 a.m. was the time that one of the attendees said, "Don't you people have spell check?" I was seeing red! This woman is so very difficult. Not a pleasure to work with in the least and so I responded, "No we use dictionaries and an a abacus." I did not look up nor did I give any inflection that I was kidding.
9:55 a.m. I was in my car speeding back to my office for another meeting at 10:45.
10:42 a.m. I dial in to my meeting, good news is they have decided to abandon the project I was basically in charge of. PHEW! I remain on the call until the bitter end.
12:04 p.m. I dial in to my next meeting. We run down all the information from the meeting I attended last week and begin to attack an issue we need to provide a solution for, only 3 out of the 5 of us need to move onto another meeting, no resolution. Schedule another meeting. We conclude our call at 12:37 p.m.
12:59 p.m. I dial in to my next meeting. This call is either always comical or horrifying. Today it was neither. It just was.
1:35 p.m. Call complete.
2:00 p.m. Dial into my pre-meeting prep meeting. Need to move it to 4:30 and will need to stay until 5:30.
2:04 - 4:30 I scramble to complete tasks and to remind others of tasks that must be completed.
4:30 p.m. I dial in to my final meeting of the day. It is productive, I think. At least my stuff is done and good.
5:39 p.m. Call home to check in. Leave and pick up Rx for Oldest's case of swimmers ear and milk.
6:05 p.m. Pull into driveway.

I will be traveling this week, Wednesday through Friday. It is exhausting when having to do meetings all day AND prepare for being out of the office.

I am ready for the weekend and it is only Monday!


Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

I remember those days back when I had an office job. I scrambled from one meeting to the next and wondered how I got any real work done!

Sounds like a busy day! Hang in there! Friday will be here before you know it!

Kristi said...

Good luck with traveling this week. If you feel like it when you get back, I have an interesting tag for you.

Misty said...

Oh my gosh that is a lot of meetings...

KathyLikesPink said...

Oh my gosh what a miserable day. I'm sending lots of hugs and sympathy your way!

Sue said...

Tough day! I hope your trip is easier than that!

Drama Mama said...

I'm with ya sista!
I feel your pain- I wish it was Friday too! Monday's just suck!

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

Yikes! I can't imagine doing meetings back to back like that, I would hate the feeling of not being able to get anything else done. I did like days where there was a lot to do though, because it made the time go by so much faster.

You probably don't want to hear that I slept past 8:00 am this morning and haven't been on the phone at all today, huh... ;)

Muffy Willowbrook said...


Sorry, but that day just sounds horrendous.