Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Hearts filled with love

My husband was a smoker, but had quit 5 or 6 years ago.  He began running in 2011 and was training for a 50k before his death.  He had a physical in September 2014 and was told he was in great shape and he didn't need to be seen for two years. He was a vegetarian and his only vice was caffeine. He carried water on his runs and always stopped for fill ups during long runs.

My husband died of a massive heart attack that was caused by 99% blockage of the left anterior descending coronary artery.  This type of blockage and heart attack is called the Widow Maker.

What I have learned is he had asymptomatic coronary heart disease and that it had been going on for decades.  Running 17 miles on Saturday and 10 miles on the Sunday prior to his sudden death on Monday leaves us all stunned.  How can someone with that level of blockage do that?

It also makes me angry that his body betrayed him, that his body gave us no clues, that he was classified as low risk, as such none of the tests routinely done would have revealed anything.  All his blood work was text book within normal limits.

So we keep putting one foot in front of the other. And our children will now be classified as high risk and will do everything I can to ensure they all live to ripe old ages.

My heart is filled with sorrow but overflows with so much love.  Jeremy Eschelbacher, my husband, loved me with all of his broken heart, of this I am sure.


1 comment:

Melanie Gao said...

Betsy I'm just now reading this. I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking about you and your sweet family. I am in tears for you.